41st Annual Pediatric Conference
Friday, April 7, 2017
Robert F. Froehlke Auditorium, Laird Center for Medical Research, Marshfield Clinic 1000 N. Oak Avenue, Marshfield, WI
For more information click here.
7:55 a.m. Welcome and Introductions
8:00 a.m. Avoiding Pitfalls in Pediatric Dermatology – Thomas McIntee, MD
• Discuss management options and appropriateness for common benign pediatric skin diseases.
• Describe current treatment guidelines for acne vulgaris management.
• Review hemangioma of infancy interventions and monitoring.
8:45 a.m. Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship: Best practices for common pediatric infections – Holly Frost, MD, FAAP
• Examine how inappropriate use of antibiotics impacts bacterial resistance and risk of complications for pediatric patients.
• Describe appropriate evaluation of children presenting with sore throat.
• Review the best first-line therapy for children with common infections including pneumonia, sinusitis, and acute otitis media.
• Describe use of non-antimicrobial options for treating common infections.
9:45 a.m. Break
10:00 a.m. Pediatric Knee Pain: So many possible problems. So little on exam. Know when to worry and how to help. – Jacob Lonsdale, MD
• Differentiate between benign and emergent causes of knee pain.
• Assess if knee pain is intra vs extra articular.
• Apply current treatment strategies for the treatment of anterior knee pain.
11:00 a.m. Non-invasive Respiratory Support for Common Pediatric Illnesses – Matthew Oelstrom, MD
• Identify common respiratory illnesses.
• Discuss how noninvasive respiratory support devices work.
• Explain the indications for albuterol, racemic epinephrine, and systemic glucocorticoids in patients with common respiratory illness.
• Describe indications for referral.
12:00 p.m. Lunch
12:45 p.m. Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease – Rajni Ahlawat, MD
• Discuss the physiology and natural history related to GERD in pediatric patients.
• Review the signs and symptoms related to GERD in pediatric patients.
• Describe the diagnostic approaches and explain various treatment approaches in children with GERD.
• List the possible relationships between GERD and various extraesophageal diseases.
1:30 p.m. Symptoms of Inattention, Hyperactivity-Impulsivity – Narendran Neelakantachar, MD
• Discuss the psychological development of a child and neurological development of brain associated with inattention and impulsivity.
• Differentiate various causes and factors that influence Inattention and Hyperactive- Impulsivity.
• Review pharmacodynamics of psychotropic medications associated with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
• Apply psychotropic medications to case scenarios.
2:15 p.m. Break
2:30 p.m. Continued: Symptoms of Inattention, Hyperactivity-Impulsivity – Narendran Neelakantachar, MD
3:15 p.m. Support and Medical Care for Youth With Non-Conforming Gender – James Meyer, MD
• Distinguish specific terms related to transgender populations.
• Sensitively screen for alternate gender and sexual orientation individuals.
• Evaluate the medical and psychological needs of transgender populations