The following is an announcement from the American Academy of Pediatrics Board of Directors.
Last week, the membership of the American Academy of Pediatrics approved a new set of bylaws which established three new At Large seats on the Board of Directors. Elected At Large directors will:
- advance the cause of child health
- advocate for pediatricians, pediatric medical subspecialists, and pediatric surgical specialists
- support and strengthen the organization
- encourage innovative approaches to problem solving by the Board of Directors and staff
- and promote the interests of all members of the Academy
- appoint members for national AAP committees
- review AAP policy, clinical reports, technical reports, and requests for endorsements
- monitor and support the committees, councils and sections of the Academy
- communicate the needs of committees, councils and sections
- recognize the achievements of committees, councils and sections
- address membership concerns.
Nominees for the positions of At Large directors must have leadership experience in AAP committees (current or past chairperson or member), or within councils and sections (current or past chairperson or executive committee member).
The At Large seats are delineated for purposes of nominations. All nominees for At Large Seat A must be pediatric medical subspecialists, all nominees for At Large Seat B must be pediatric surgical specialists, and all nominees for At Large Seat C, must be fellow or specialty fellow members. At Large directors elected to Seats A and B will serve 1 four-year term. The initial At Large director elected to Seat C will serve 1 three-year term. Thereafter, the At Large director elected to Seat C will serve 1 four-year term.
Members interested in the newly established At Large seats should complete an application, biographical summary, and submit a letter of support from a committee, council, or section member with whom he/she served. Application materials must be received by firstname.lastname@example.org on January 18, 2019.
The National Nominating Committee will select no more than two candidates from among the applicants per At Large seat. At Large directors will be elected from the membership nationally in 2019, and officially seated on January 1, 2020.
Available for download: